on Via Pontic – the Roman road which follows the way of the
The village existed already at the time of the Ottoman slavery
and it was called Kiraamet
translated - Mr. Amet) on the name of Turk who had farm in this
Later shepherds arrived from the
village of Kipilovo
and Kotel, who make sheep-folds and breed sheep. One of the
first settlers are from Yakimov and Ranks family. There lived in
the village Gagauzes who have survived long as ethnic community
because they neither accepted nor allowed anyone to marry and
create a family out of the community. And till now they have
their own customs, folklore and dialect.
According to a legend, later on when the population grows,
disaster caught it- many young brides began to die in
childbirth. People search for ways to rescue from this
misfortune but in vain. Once in the village comes a priest named
Krustou and tells them that every year on the Virgin they should
make boiled mutton for health under the two existing that time
large elms and they need to call the village on the name of the
Mother of God. So they began to boil mutton on this special day
and called the village Bozhitsa. It is said that in this way
they rescued young mothers from death.
It is interesting that here is buried rebel from Hadji Dimitar’s
band and memorial is there. He came to the village Gorichane
after the band was defeated and later he settled in Bozhanovo.
On the plaque it is written "Stefan, the Lovech man." It is not
known studies to be made who exactly is this rebel.
Tvardica, the neighboring village also has centuries long
history. Its name comes from the ancient Byzantine fortress,
whose garrison was guarding the important route Constanta-Kavarna.
Even today, the road passes through the village and is even
used. Around the fortress, dating from IV – VI century, a small
village was situated, which has provided the necessary
commodities for the garrison.
The village continues to exist after the
conquest of the country by the Ottoman Empire, but it was renamed to Kalaydzhadere, a
name derived probably because of the craft of Turkish villagers.
In spite of the slavery, the village goes on prospering although
it never reaches very large sizes. The first known facts about
it date from 1573.
After emancipation from Ottoman rule, the village was renamed to
Tvardica due to the fortress called Fort.
Today there are very
few clues left as local people used the carved stone blocks of
the wall for construction. Remains of the fortress are hidden by
dense and impenetrable forest and common findings remain ceramic
objects. Near to the fortress there are three caves, one of
which is known as the Kutlovitsa. According to legends it is
extremely long and its second exit reaches out Kaliakra cape.
Unfortunately, the fortress is also a subject of interest for
treasure hunters and near to the cave can be seen deep pit that
is associated with a passage. Our legitimate archaeologists will
tell us one day where does this passage lead us - of course,
after all the valuable artifacts are looted already.
During the period 1913-1940, the
of Tvardica is part of Romania. In 30s
the brothers George and Tinyo Hadzhitinevi with a loan from
Swiss bank, built a big mill and equip it with machines of the
German company "Buhler". It turns the village in economic center
of the region and preferable venue for Bulgarian and Romanian
traders. A curious fact is that when building it, cement was
used which is very rare and expensive building material at the
time. The mill provides work for dozens of workers and during
the communism the village undergoes an economic boom until 1984,
when its owners were forced to stop business under the pressure
of local communist leaders and the village quickly declined.
12 kms away from Bozhanovo the lovers of
rocky shores will find the romance of Tulenovo and Kamen Bryag
sites, the Nature Reserve Yailata and near the town of
Kavarna (20 km) – Kaliakra
with its famous mussel farm.
On the North of Bozhanovo, on the big
island in Duranculak lake the temple of the Great Mother Goddess
Cybele is situated- one of the largest prehistoric cemeteries in
the world at the age of around two thousand and five hundred
years. The temple is dated from the late Bronze Age (around
IV-III centuries BC). There was found a figurine of Cybele -
goddess who protected her tribe before other tribes and cults to
prevail in this attractive place for settlement. Next to the
temple are found the remains of the oldest and largest Neolithic
settlement in continental Europe
dating from 5250 - 3800 BC.
The lower layers of the settlement’s mound
are very interesting which date from the beginning of V century
BC. According to experts there can be studied unknown till now
cultural phenomenon, referring to the first protocivilization
(so called "Varna
culture") in human history. Its research has to shed light on
the emergence of so-called "Varna
gold" - the first known to mankind trove of archaeological
objects from this metal in such quantities. In the ancient
settlement interesting findings were discovered - ceramic
figures of idols that depict female figures, much pottery,
tools, axes of antler. Some of the ornaments are interesting too
- a necklace of gold, string of gold and malachite beads,
anthropomorphic amulet, gold wire spiral - a head decoration